Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

Spinning FO: Real Yarn!


This yarn has actually been in process for awhile, but I finally finished it last Thursday! I started it back in... October I think? And then I had to put the wheel in our bedroom at the apartment because the boys would get into it. Well, out of site out of mind and I didn't do a whole lot of spinning until we moved. But now that the wheel is safely tucked away behind a door in our office I have been trying to spin as much as I feel like. It's been so nice!


Fiber Type: Merino wool (from Merino Sheep)

Color: Multi-Grey

Quantity/Weight: I spun up about 4 oz. but not all of that got plied. I need to get a scale to weigh what I have left over.

Preparation: Combed Top

Divided: I just pulled the top apart into 4ths to make it easier for me to draft.

Number of Plies: 2

WPI (wraps per inch) of Finished yarn: 12

Finishing: Soak in lukewarm water with baby shampoo, beat the crap out of it (no, seriously.) against the side of the tub to fluff it up and release some of the built up over-twist, then hang dry.

Finished Yardage: Approximately 116 yards

Approximate Yarn Weight: Sport

Supposedly Merino is difficult for beginners (which I am) because of the shorter staple and slipperiness of it. But I have to say, I LOVED spinning this. It felt so smooth and sexy going through my fingers as I was drafting the singles. And I'm so happy with the finished yarn. It turned out great and I feel like I made something that I wouldn't be afraid to knit with - rather than a pile of cat vomit. My singles after coming back to it were much more even than the first attempts. I wonder why that is since I wasn't practicing.

Having such a good experience with it has renewed my energy for spinning and I've begun my next bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment