Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spinning FO: Sweet Grass Targhee!


I finished spinning and plying this a few days ago, but just finished washing and setting it yesterday. It turned out great! It's really fun to see my skills getting better and better with each time at the wheel. The yarn turned out fairly soft, and I'm thinking it might make a good hat or socks. I still have a little bit to ply up, but here are the specs I got for the stuff I finished:


Fiber Type: Sweet Grass Targhee (from Targhee Sheep)

Color: Natural/Cream

Quantity/Weight: Spun up 4 oz., finished this skein with about 2.8 oz.

Preparation: Combed Mountain Top

Divided: Divided the whole lot into equal(ish) weights (about 1.3 oz.) then separated each bit into 4ths for drafting.

Method: Short draw/Worsted

Whorl Size: 10.1:1 both singles and plying

WPI of Singles: 31

Twists per Inch: 9

Number of Plies: 3

WPI of Finished yarn: 14

Finishing: Soak in warm water with baby shampoo, rinse, whack, hang dry overnight.

Finished Yardage: Approximately 144 yards

Approximate Yarn Weight: Fingering

This wool was a lot easier to spin than the Merino. It had a bit longer staple from what I could tell, and it wasn't as slippery. I didn't have as much trouble with it slipping and breaking while drafting. Not as fun to run through my fingers, but still really nice. I'm thinking I might get some more and possibly dye it.

No comments:

Post a Comment