Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend, Indeed

There have been a ton of projects going on this weekend at Chateau Du Naked Sheep. Ben took the words "Labor Day weekend" literally and happily worked all three days. So now that it's all done and I have pictures I get to brag about my incredibly talented and amazing husband. This is going to be picture heavy.

One of the things he got done Sunday was a shelving unit in the boy's room. We've been talking about doing it for awhile. Both for storage and for keeping them from pulling the clothes out of their dresser, or banging on the wall at 6 in the morning and waking people up.

The shelving is on the right, then he placed a normal closet shelf at the top on the left and will put a hanging bar once he gets a support bracket that fits. Their dresser is under that. Then he put latches on the tops of the doors so the boys can't get in. Now the boys just have one box of toys to get into in the morning, so it has been a very clean room! It opened up a lot of space in the rest of the house's cabinets as well, which makes me happy.



The biggest project of the weekend, though, was a new gate for the side of the house. Ben is a great welder and he really has an eye for design. So where most women might say "Oh, my husband installed a gate" I can say "Dude. My husband MADE a gate." Here is a picture of the side railing that holds the hinges.

This is the gate being prepped for painting.


When it was all done, we went from this torn up, ill-fitting, crappy gate:


To this! A beautiful, perfect fitting, quietly closing, easily opening, crazy-sexy gate. I love being able to say "Yeah, he built it." Next he is planning a new fancy one for the front gate, and a matching solid piece of fence for the other side to replace the crap fence that is falling down. I can't wait!


In addition to all that he also built himself a cart for his welder which turned out awesomely. And, we now have a garage door opener! That he installed without instructions because there weren't any in the box. I'm so happy about the door opener. Now I don't have to play the "Open the garage. Pull out the car. Turn off the car. Close the garage. Go around and leave through front door." shuffle anytime I want to go anywhere.

I was slightly productive this weekend too. I worked on Rachel's sweater, started and finished another Christmas present, and just about finished a beanie for Ben but I ran out of yarn. I will have to go get more. Maybe tonight after Ben gets home.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. That is one cool gate!! He did a super nice job!! I am so very proud of him and I am so glad he celebrates Labor Day!! We are going to have to come over so we can see how neat every thing turned out. I am so glad you got knitting done too.
    It was a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I've got gate envy. WE have the broken-down, nightmare, ill-fitting wooden gate -- the twin of the one you disposed of. Ben made the dream gate -- how much would he charge if I commissioned him for another one? Would it be possible to add a screen so creepy neighbors can't see through the beautiful bars? Seriously in the market to hire somebody to do such a deed -- rather the money went to you guys. S.D.

    ReplyDelete