Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It Could Have Been Worse

Yesterday duderman didn't want to be put down hardly at all. So later in the afternoon, when I had finally given up on getting chores done, I sat down with my knitting and him in my lap.

I am working on a Christmas present - using DPNs - that had about 2 inches done. Duder is working on getting his arms where he wants and grabbing stuff. See where this is going?

While I was knitting away, listening to podcasts and watching the same Veggie Tales DVD for the 934857th time with the boys (we only have 3), my very smart son was working on controlling his little hand closer and closer to my needles. A moment later I felt resistance and looked down to watch him ever so quietly pull one needle right out of my knitting.

Now, this could have been worse. For one, the yarn I'm using is very nice grippy yarn and it stayed right where it was. Just one dropped stitch, and it only dropped a row and was savable. For two, I was planning on ripping it out and starting over anyways (the size was off). But no matter what your plans are, if you are a knitter and you lose a needle for whatever reason you would probably feel the same way I did...

For one tiny moment my heart stopped. I panicked. Sheer terror coursed through my veins.  That darling child almost wound up on the floor (I know this sounds horrible, but some of you will understand.) Then I realized the stitches weren't dropping and remembered I had thought about starting over, and that if I wanted to save it I could because the stitches were still in tact.

But holy crap that was scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment