Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Story of the Microwave

Aaahhh. My day of knitting went excelently yesterday. I finished CP2, with the exception of a little bit of finishing work. But the bulk of it is done and I am very happy about that. I spent all day just knitting and today I feel blissfully happy and relaxed. I even got extra time since one of our friends came over to play guitar with Ben last night.So I sat with them while they played. I like this Knitting Friday idea. It took away some of the frustration I've had about not getting things finished. Since I can't show you any pictures of the presents because the recipient reads the blog, I shall give a picture of something totally different, along with a story!

A few months before we moved to our current home, our .. um... darling two year old children figured out how to open the microwave and pulled out the glass plate, shattering it on the floor. At the time, they were really short so don't ask me how they were able to reach it. So we have been living without a plate in our microwave for quite some time. It worked just fine for awhile, we just had to set anything we wanted to heat on the plate turner (for lack of a more appropriate name). You know what I mean, the three legged thing that has a shaft reaching into the underbelly of the microwave that has gears and it turns your glass plate.

For months we searched for a new plate - I even looked online at the manufacturer's website - with no luck. So we just kept making it work. Well, about 3 weeks ago I noticed that the turner wasn't, well, turning anymore. Since this is a vital part of the whole microwave process, our food started to become.... "crispy" in some spots. It would get hotter and more concentrated on certain parts of the plates of food. For the last few days I had been having to stop the cooking halfway through and manually turn the plate 180 degrees just to insure the food would be edible. Needless to say, I was getting a little irritated.

Last night Ben wanted to make popcorn. So he placed the bag in the slowly dieing microwave and stood there waiting for it to pop. It got about half way through the cook time when the bottom of the bag exploded and angry, burned popcorn came rushing out of the hole. From the kitchen he yells to me "Hey, you wanna go get a new microwave?" "YES PLEASE!" So off to Best Buy we went, picked out a nice shiny Micro-Hood and now we have this:



My favorite part is it is the partner microwave for the oven, so it matches. I love it. We haven't cooked anything in it yet, but it's beautiful. I love that it is up away from the imps so they can't break it. I love how now we can get a hutch where the old microwave was. And I especially love my manly man husband for putting it up without any problem. Seriously nice having a strong capable man around to do stuff like that.

Today he is going to be working on posts for the gate of the family friend and I ... will be knitting of course! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Is the family friend the D.s?

    I'm glad you guys got such a nice new microwave! Also, you've done a lot of work on your kitchen since I saw it last. When I was there (gosh, months ago now) it was still kind of tore up.

    I'm also glad you're getting to knit. Setting aside a little time to be creative is important, especially if you value your sanity. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's for the D's. You might even see him this afternoon if he is still there.

    I guess it really hasn't been since... oh gosh. May? You were still pregnant, I know that. You'll have to come see what we've done so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Megan, you got so much knitting finished. I am so happy you took Friday for your knitting day. I thought about you all day and hoped you would take that day for you to get to be creative. I know how much it has helped me. I mean sometimes after a good creative Friday, I am almost sane. :)
    It was nice getting to visit last night.

    ReplyDelete